The passengers abducted while boarding the Niger State Authority (NSTA) bus last week has regained freedom from their abductors.
The announcement of the release of the abductors was made on Sunday via the official Twitter account of Abubakar Sani Bello, Niger state governor.
The tweet read: “Breaking News: The Niger State Government has succeeded in securing the release of all Abducted #RescueNSTAPassengers. Details shortly.”
Recall that on February 15, gunmen had ambushed the commuters who were said to be returning from a wedding in Rijau local government area (LGA) of the state.
At least 21 passengers were reported to have been taken by the gunmen.
Two days later, the kidnappers put out a video of the passengers and demanded a ransom of N500 million for their release.
They had threatened to kill the hostages should the government fail to meet their demands.
The state government had said it would not pay ransom for the abducted passengers and students of Government Science College (GSC), Kagara, who were abducted in the early hours of Wednesday.