The National Security Council (NSC) has declared that the leader of the proscribed Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, is not yet off the hook, the Thursday quashing by the Court of Appeal of the terrorism charges against him notwithstanding.
Kanu’s counsel, Aloy Ejimakor, differed with government, saying his client must first be released even if other charges would be filed against him.
The NSC, which advises the President on “matters relating to public security”, also directed the National Security Adviser and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) to investigate the oil theft in the Niger Delta.
The council, taking a cue from the initial reaction of the Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN) to the Kanu matter, said the IPOB leader was not acquitted of the cases previously preferred against him.
It said government was considering the next step to take on the matter in due course as he has some other issues against him.
Addressing State House correspondents at the end of the Council meeting, Police Affairs Minister Maigari Dingyadi, with whom were Interior Minister Rauf Aregbesola and the Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor, said what would become of the case against Kanu would be decided in the coming days.
“The issue of Kanu was also raised and Council was briefed on the state of things on the matter and it was observed that Kanu was discharged, but he was not acquitted,” Dingyadi said.
He added: ”So, government is considering the appropriate action to be taken on the matter and Nigerians will be notified of the position that will finally be taken on the matter in due course.”
He said the Council only discussed the Appeal Court’s judgment, but noted that solutions to this kind of matters could be considered as long as they were not sub judice.