Abubakar Malami, attorney-general of the federation (AGF), has withdrawn from the 2023 Kebbi governorship race.
The minister had on April 28 declared his intention to contest the governorship election on the All Progressives Congress (APC) platform, and thereafter submitted his N50 million nomination form on May 11.
Umar Gwandu, Malami’s spokesman, via a text message shared with TheCable on Saturday, confirmed the minister’s withdrawal.
He added that Malami did not resign as minister contrary to rumours.
“Attorney-general of the federation and minister of justice, Abubakar Malami, has not resigned. He withdrew his ambition to contest for the 2023 Kebbi state gubernatorial elections,” Gwandu said.
On Wednesday, President Muhammadu Buhari had asked all members of his cabinet seeking elective office to resign on or before May 16.
Apart from Malami, other ministers seeking elective offices include Rotimi Amaechi, Godswill Akpabio, Timipre Sylva, Pauline Tallen, Chris Ngige, Uche Ogah, Ogbonnaya Onu and Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba.
Following the president’s directive, some ministers had tendered their resignation, while the president, earlier on Friday, met with the outgoing cabinet members.
Chris Ngige, minister of labour and employment, has also announced his withdrawal from the 2023 presidential race.
The minister said he took the “momentous decision” in the interest of the nation and to enable him to concentrate on his job.