The Campus Based Industrial Trade Unions in Abia state University(ABSU), Uturu has rejected the proposed 30% payment of June salary as said to be proposed by the university’s management.
The Union revealed that it’s aware of the release of N100m (One hundred million naira) by the governor of the state, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu.
In a statement released by the university based Union, it said: “We are aware of the release of N100m by governor Okezie Ikpeazu and the intention of the university management to 30% June salary with the money”
The Union in the letter signed and dated 26th November, 2020 rejected the planned move.
See letter below:
Meanwhile, the Abia state government in a release same day, said it has set up a committee on the resolution of Arrears of salaries owed by some government parastatals.
See full release below:
GOVERNMENT SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
The Governor of Abia State, Okezie Ikpeazu, PhD has approved the constitution of a COMMITTEE ON THE RESOLUTION OF ARREARS OF SALARIES OWED BY SOME GOVERNMENT PARASTATALS.
The membership of the Committee is as follows –
- Dr. Aham Ukoh, Honorable Commissioner for Finance – Chairman
- Sir Onyi Onyii Wamah, State Head of Service – Member
- Dr Jonathan Osuji, Honorable Commissioner for Health – Member
- Dr. Kck Nwangwa, Honorable Commissioner for Education – Member
- Chief John Okiyi Kalu, Honorable Commissioner for Information – Member
- Mr. Kelechi Imeoria – State Accountant General – Member
- Uche Ihediwa Esq, Honorable Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice – Secretary.
The affected parastatals are –
- Secondary Education Management Board (SEMB)
- Abia State University Teaching Hospital Aba
- Abia State Polytechnic, Aba.
- Hospitals Management Board (HMB)
- Abia State College of Education (Technical), Arochukwu.
- Abia State College of Health and Management Sciences, Aba.
The Governor has mandated the Committee to complete their work within two weeks to ensure the immediate disbursement of the first tranche of payments to affected workers in these parastatals.
Sir Onyebuchi Ememanka
Chief Press Secretary to the Governor.
26th November, 2020.